7156 S Dorchester Ave Chicago, Illinois, 60619
Eden Supportive Living is not just a new housing concept. It is a lifestyle designed for people with physical disabilities ages 22 and older who expect a better quality of living. At Eden, a person can live amongst their peers in exciting neighborhoods, while taking comfort in knowing there are licensed health professionals available to assist with daily living activities or health emergencies.
Built around the notion everyone is entitled to live with dignity, Eden is the answer for young adults searching for accessible housing with support services while maintaining a more independent lifestyle (a resident can choose a studio, one or two-bedroom apartment). Moreover, each socially-oriented community fosters inter-resident activity without forsaking a person's privacy.
The real secret of Eden's success is its staff. All of its wellness personnel are licensed health care professionals. Annually, the entire organization conducts rigorous sensitivity training to better serve people with physical disabilities. From maintenance to dining, each employee's goal is to make available the highest level of service while honoring the resident's right to choose how to live their life.
Eden's residences are designed to meet the needs of most disabilities. Eden features fully accessible, professionally planned, apartment layouts with barrier-free bathrooms, adaptable kitchen cabinetry, lower windows for accessible viewing, ample grab bars, high-speed internet service, and individually controlled heating and cooling. Eden offers an attractive restaurant with three delicious, well-balanced meals served daily, a state-of-the-art cyber center, an art center, a fully accessible fitness center, a movie theatre, free laundry facilities and so much more.
Safety is always a paramount concern at Eden. Every Eden apartment is equipped with at least two emergency pull switches. Staff is available at all times to respond when a cord is pulled.
What's more, for a simple, single monthly fee, everything is covered: rent, utilities, three daily meals, housekeeping, laundry, assistance with transportation, personal care, and even medication reminders. Qualified residents eligible for financial assistance under Medicaid may be able to receive financial assistance for their care at Eden. (please ask our marketing representatives for more information).
Eden's continuing mission is to promote a better lifestyle for people with physical disabilities while encouraging self-direction, greater privacy, independence, and dignity.
As the first Supportive Living Facility in the country serving people with disabilities, Eden Supportive Living is not about real estate, it's about people being given a chance to live.
Founded in 2003 on the principle of transforming lives through higher living standards, we have developed the industry's youngest and best-designed health care properties, delivering the next generation of exemplary care and offering our residents the utmost quality of life. We don't believe housing for people with disabilities should feel stale. We believe care should be provided in a spirit of hospitality and love. This mission inspires us and we hope it inspires you.
Eden and its affiliates have been serving the disabled community since 1997 as a principal advocate for disability rights and constantly challenging the status quo. Around Eden, we are constantly asking "why not?" By doing so, we have an opportunity to vertically transform lives each and every day.
We pioneered managed care for resident's scheduled and unscheduled needs, as well as, personal assistance in advancing people's development on a daily basis and we will continue doing so by encouraging people to play an active role in their physical and mental wellness.
Right now, we're transforming the way health care is experienced by people living with disabilities. Only time will tell what's next, but one thing is for sure; when tomorrow comes, we'll be ready. We'll be ready to think critically, cast visions, and execute strategies that transform lives.
Our mission, therefore, is to improve the quality of our resident's lives while helping them overcome any boundaries that need overcoming. Working under the Supportive Living Program, we can create an environment where residents can grow. A place we can all be proud to call home.
At Eden, our name is our motto: EDEN Everyone Deserves Equal Nobility (E.D.E.N.) - Everyone deserves to live the fullest life possible.
Awards and Accomplishments
Eden has been credited with pioneering a new level of community housing for individuals whose prior choices were institutional living or nursing homes.
• Gargole Award for Advocacy of Disability Rights
• Iron Lion Award for Disability Rights
• 5 Diamond Award of Excellence in Care
• Member of Affordable Assisted Living Coalition
• Member Leading Age
• Member Life Services Network
• Member Multiple Sclerosis Society
• Prior Council for Disability Rights
• Prior Friends of Downtown
• Prior Chicago Board of Realtors
Our standard services include:
Assistance with Activities of Daily Living (ADL) including standby assistance with bathing, dressing, grooming, ambulation, transfer, toileting;
Eden offers delicious and nutritious meals to our residents. Meals will offer low sodium and/or low sugar alternative. Eden shall make available beverages, including coffee, fruit juice, and snack foods;
Laundry Service: Laundry service shall be provided if requested. Laundry service does not include dry cleaning services. Eden shall provide laundry detergent and the use of at least one accessible washer and dryer on a first-come, first-serve basis at no cost;
Housekeeping: Eden shall provide general housekeeping services weekly. Services include: light house cleaning, bed making, changing of linens, dusting, and vacuuming;
Social and Recreational Activities: Social and recreational programs will be offered weekly, which include on-site programs as well as off-site trips, educational programming, and social and recreational programs for the Residents. Transportation shall be provided by Eden for scheduled activities off-site;
24-Hour Response Staff: Response staff shall be available on the premises 24-hours a day to respond to scheduled or unscheduled needs and emergency calls from Residents;
Reminders for self-administered medication management, medication set-up (such as preparing weekly pill caddies with that week's medication), episodic and intermittent health promotion or disease prevention counseling, and teaching self-care in meeting routine and special health care needs; and, Wifi is provided.
The following are not included in the monthly fee:
• Guest Meals
• Special programs/events outside of the facility
• Beauty salon and barber services
• Telephone, cable, and internet services in Resident Unit
• Social work services*
• Psychological services*
• Wound care
• Incontinence care
• 24 hour licensed nursing
It is expressly understood Eden does not provide continuous intermediate or skilled nursing level of care. Nothing herein shall be construed to obligate Eden to perform services for Resident beyond the scope of the Services herein, as such may be defined and changed or amended from time to time.
The resident may engage other professionals to provide services not offered by Eden. Scheduling costs associated with said services and all liability are the responsibility of the Resident.
Eden South Shore is nestled on a tree-lined street in the South Shore neighborhood, close to the lakefront, Hyde Park, Jackson Park, various coffee shops and shopping centers, and coming soon the Obama Library.
Eden offers the following amenities in addition to our standard services:
• Wide range of apartment types: studio, one-bedroom, and two-bedroom in different sizes and configurations
• Fully handicapped-accessible baths, including roll-in showers and grab bars
• Modern kitchens with microwave, flame-free stovetop & size refrigerator
• Faux wood flooring
Community common areas:
• Adaptive Fitness Center
• Computer/cyber center with individual work stations and free high-speed internet
• Comfortably furnished television and living room area perfect for meetings and lazy Sunday afternoons
• Private activity center and a game room suitable for private parties and family/friend dinners
• Movie theater open 24 hours and also available for private viewings, featuring surround sound, and Nintendo Wii on the big screen
• Free DVD library
• Pool table
• Grand piano
• Beautiful community stone fireplace
• Free laundry facilities (for residents who prefer to do their own laundry)
Utilities are included in a monthly rental with the exception of:
• Telephone service
• Cable (all rooms are cable-ready)
• Web service (all rooms provide access to high-speed internet)
Activity Programming at Eden is varied, including:
• Daily wellness programming including group fitness, adaptive yoga, neighborhood walks, meditation sessions, wellness education, nutrition education, support groups, boccia ball, adaptive gardening, and dance classes
• All-inclusive trips outside the building once a week or more. Past trips have included adaptive sailing lessons, Chicago-area tours (History Boat Cruise, Willis Tower Skydeck, Navy Pier), museums, movie theater, adaptive bowling, adaptive cycling, restaurants for lunch, BBQs and fishing on Lake Michigan, local festivals, and Chicago Park District events
• Daily activity programming on-site. Groups run by residents, staff, volunteers, or hired instructors as needed. Examples of activities have included jewelry making, poetry & writing group, Nintendo Wii, pool tournament, poker nights, computer lessons, ceramics class, guitar lessons, and a Resident Council
• Group volunteer opportunities such as making lunch at the Ronald McDonald House Charity are offered
• Special events such as the MS Walk, Step Out Walk to Fight Diabetes, holiday parties, live entertainment, and an annual softball game. The driving force behind Eden is to improve the quality of your life. Eden is a social community. By living alongside your peers in vibrant and active neighborhoods, it is hard not to call Eden home.
© 2020-23 My Living Choice | All Rights Reserved