- On-Site Medical Staff
- Chef Prepared Meals
- Dietary Accommodations
- Transportation Services
- Laundry Service
- 24-Hour Staff
- Medication Management
- Planned Activities
- Pet Friendly
- Multiple Floor Plans
- Private Rooms
- Fitness Center
- Activity Space
- Theater Room
- Beauty Salon
- Outdoor Patio
- Walking Paths
- Free Wi-Fi
- Senior Living
- Assisted Living
- Independent Living
- Memory Care
- Nursing Home
- At-Home Care
- Respite Care
The Mary Galloway Home is a non-profit organization, which for more than 100 years has provided a retirement home where ladies may enjoy a pleasant environment and live with the dignity each deserves.
The Home is supported entirely by gifts and bequests from individual and corporate donors, plus rental fees from our residents.
Opening in 1896, the Home was chartered under the State of Tennessee in 1897. This retirement residence for women became known as The Mary Galloway Home in 1902.
The Mary Galloway Home is located on the second floor of the Trezevant Terrace Assisted Living community that is part of the greater Trezevant campus. The area is an attractive tree-lined and secure residence near restaurants, parks, theaters and shopping.
Our Ladies enjoy common areas for socializing, dining and entertaining.
The Mary Galloway Home engages a resident liaison to coordinate between the ladies, their families, Trezevant Terrace and The Mary Galloway Home Board.
Currently the Home has the capacity for twenty residents.
The Mary Galloway Home residents maintain their independence with assistance as needed.
As members of the Trezevant Community, the following services are included in the monthly rent:
Three meals with menu choices
All utilities except Cable TV and Telephone
Daily medication monitoring by trained personnel
Personal emergency pendant
Secure outdoor garden area
Planned transportation services
Wellness Center including swimming pool
Social Worker on-site
Activities Director on-site
These additional paid services are available on the Trezevant campus:
Ice Cream Parlor and socials
Dottie’s Digs Resale Store
Rehab Facility located in Allen Morgan Nursing Home on the Trezevant campus
The Mary Galloway home was started as “The Home for Aged Women” in a small cottage in 1896 with six resident ladies, each of whom paid $10 per month. The founders were members of the “Willing Hands Circle” of the King’s Daughters. The corporate charter of this charitable organization was issued by the State of Tennessee in January, 1897. The purpose of the home was – and is – to provide protection, comfort, and support in a harmonious and dignified setting for retirement age women with financial needs.
As the home grew and additional space was required, it was moved to the corner of Monroe and Manassas, across the street from Forrest Park. The debt incurred by this move was paid by Colonel Robert Galloway. In 1902, the residence officially became “The Mary Galloway Home” in memory of Colonel Galloway’s wife, who had been a member of the founding circle. 759 Monroe Avenue housed the Mary Galloway ladies for 60 years. During that time there were additions made which increased the capacity to 30. An infirmary and a sunroom were also part of the additions.
In 1961, the building at 5389 Poplar was opened with space for 48 ladies. A later addition allowed housing for 52. Built on a 4 1/2 acre tract, this served as the Home for 36 years. Designed by Walk Jones, the structure was on one floor, with residents’ rooms built around courtyards. Small sitting areas augmented the spacious living room. A beauty salon was included for the convenience of the ladies. The arrangement of two bedrooms which shared a half-bath allowed for later development of “suites” which could be occupied by one lady for a standard rate. All residents had to go down the hallway for bath or shower.
The governing board decided to sell the Poplar property and enter into a lease agreement with what was known as Atria Communities in 1996. A special wing was designed for Mary Galloway residents at Atria of Cordova. The move to Appling Care Lane was accomplished in September, 1997. This facility was licensed as Assisted Living and gave the Mary Galloway residents the opportunity to “age in place”, which was not possible at the Poplar residence. It was later bought and operated by SunWest Management, Inc. and called Cordova Estates. While the foundation subsidized only the basic level of care, a resident could remain and continue to receive the financial support so long as her family/sponsor was responsible for any additional charges.
In November of 2007, The Mary Galloway home move to Trezevant Terrace, a new assisted living facility on the campus of Trezevant Manor. Throughout its history, the Home has been run by a volunteer Governing board. There are special programs throughout the year; these include a Birthday Luncheon each month and a Christmas and Valentine party given by the board.
The Mary Galloway home is a nonprofit organization supported by income from trusts and other legacies, memorial donations, honorariums, gifts and rental fees from residents. A financial subsidy is granted to each resident according to her ability to pay. Currently, the home has the capacity for 20 residents.
HISTORY OF THE MARY GALLOWAY HOME – NOVEMBER 11, 1906 – MEMPHIS NEWS SCIMITAR
We welcome you to contact us, so that we may introduce you to the warm, pleasant environment and supportive care of our home.
Beth Williford Carson
The Mary Galloway Home
3437 Waynoka Ave
Memphis, TN 38111